Singhi/Drumsticks have never been my favorite but hubby dear likes them, so this valentine when he asked me what do you want, I asked him the best gift would be if he cleaned the house this week for me. He promptly agreed. I should have also asked him to take care of the kitchen if I had known he would agree so anyways Saturday he said Medhaa kitchen is yours and the rest I will take care off. OK at least he is cleaning the house I can manage the cooking so I promised him he will get his Singhi Aloo, its been 2 years and he hasn't gotten to eat them. So this was my valentine gift for him, only it was a day late, yes on valentine I had to feel like a Queen while he was cleaning away, so we had sandwiches and maggie on valentine and the next day I baked muffins and Singhi Aloo to thank him for everything.

Ingredients
2 Medium drumsticks, pealed washed and cut into 2 inches pieces
1 Medium potato, pealed washed and cut into 2 inches cubes
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 cup tomato, chopped
1/2 inch ginger
2 green chilies
10 - 12 curry leaves (optional)
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp red chili powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
salt to taste
coriander leaves for garnish
1 tsp oil

Method

  1. Grind/Puree the tomatoes, ginger and green chilies together.
  2. Heat the oil and fry the onions in them till they turn golden brown.
  3. Add the curry leaves, coriander powder, red chili powder and turmeric powder and cook for another minute.
  4. Add the pureed tomatoes and cook till the oil separates. (5 - 10 mins)
  5. Add the potatoes and cook for another 5 minutes.
  6. Add the drumsticks.
  7. Transfer everything to a pressure cooker.
  8. Add water enough just to cover everything.
  9. Add salt.
  10. Cook for 2 whistles.
  11. Once the pressure is out, open and boil till you get the required consistency for the gravy.
  12. Garnish will coriander leaves and serve with phulka/roti/chapati and papad.


Off this goes to the Just for You event hosted by Alka.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh these are my damn fav. Medhaa,i simply love this with Bhughe chaawal.Thnks for a traditional recipe for our Event,it looks so wonderful
Aha wht a nice way to get ur valentine gift..wish me too would have seeked this from my hubby(cleaning home :-))

Anonymous said...

:0)

What a color!! I miss my drumsticks & chewing them:-) the ones we get here are old tight ones.

Meera said...

Looks delicious. I have bookmarked it to make it sometime.

Cham said...

Simple and delicous the drumstick and aloo. Very vibrant color!

Nithya Praveen said...

I guess first time to ur blog Medhaa,loved the Singhi Aloo.To be honest,i've never heard abt this dish...am glad i came across ur blog.Being a south indian am used to drumstick only in sambhar not in any other form...this one is surely a good one to try.Thanks for the wonderful recipe:)

Priya Suresh said...

Simple n delicious curry..

Srivalli said...

That sounds very nice medhaa...we too make a semi dry dish with drumstick which tastes great!..

Adlak's tiny world said...

anything with drumstick is my familys favo .. this one is new to me and will give a try.

shaikh said...

wonderful color picture and nice recipe. i will suggest to add grated coconut whic will give body to gravy and enhabce the taste.

Sharmila said...

Like the look of your dish. That colour looks beautiful. And loved your pink idlis too ... great idea. :-)

vidhas said...

Medhaa, something is waiting for you.

Template by - Abdul Munir - 2008 : Modified by Medhaa Chabria