Idli Upma



It has been so long that I have blogged anything, many things happening at the same time. We ad a water pipe burst for the 6th time in the apartment. Finally we decided to move out and by gods grace we found a lovely house and could also move in within 3 weeks. Its a great feeling to be in your own house and yet so much to do its never ending.

These busy days are when I love that we have some left overs. This is a recipe where you just follow your instincts, I don't have measurements for the masalas, its all upto everyones taste. Sometimes I just add Idli Pudi / chutney powder and other times I make it this way. If you like you can even deep fry the idlies, I sometimes bake them too.

Idli Upma

  1. Cut the cooked left over Idlies into quarters.
  2. Mix some coriander powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, amchur (mango powder), sugar and salt. Make this mix to your taste.
  3. Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan. Add 1 tsp mustard seeds.
  4. Add curry leaves once they splutter.
  5. Add the masala mix made in step 2.
  6. Add the idlies.
  7. Mix well and cook for 5 minutes, till everything is heated well.
  8. I cooked it on medium high, mixing intermediately, to make the idlies little crisp.
  9. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve with coconut chutney.

12 comments:

Bhawana said...

wow di kya mast banaya hai idli upma. good idea of using some leftover idlis as well.

Bhawana said...

wow di kya mast banaya hai idli upma. good idea of using some leftover idlis as well.

Anonymous said...

Hey thats a delight for sure..with amchoor and spices...slurp !!

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Wow i love this looking so good and comforting..

Dori said...

Mmmmm, that looks so good, I'm starving and would love something to snack on!

Divya Kudua said...

Hey Medha..thats such a tempting plate of Upma..:).I always make some extra idlies so that I can make this Upma from the leftovers..:)

Here's my version - http://divyascookbook.blogspot.com/2009/02/idli-upma-leftover-special.html

EC said...

Looks so yummy..good one

Deepthi Shankar said...

We make idli so often at home, but I never get to make this somehow .. looks so good

Uma said...

looks so tempting and yummy Medhaa! Best wishes on a smooth move to the new house!

Varsha Vipins said...

Hey Medha..Thanks for the comment n support dear..hearty thanks ..I know Alka as a blogger n shes a nice person..:)
Nyways,via that I could reach ur space..nice blog u have dear..idli upma sounds fab..Its been almost an year since I've had idli..since I left home ,never made it in US here..now craving after seeing this..:)
btw,you look really sweet in ur dp..:)
hugs

Parita said...

Looks yummy, i make it all the time with left over idlis :)

Jayashree said...

A good way of using up leftover idlis.
Btw, thx for stopping by my blog.

Template by - Abdul Munir - 2008 : Modified by Medhaa Chabria