- ▼ 2009 (31)
For this months Indian Cooking Challenge, Srivalli chose Chegodilu or more commonly called Ring Muruku or Kodubele by us. I had tried these before and had failed, they never get crisp for me, I knew I don't have the temperature right. I never tried them again till now. I wont say they came out perfect I still have to get the right temperature for getting them crisp, if I let them brown they do get crispier but then we don't like that dark color. I think I will try them again at my moms place on a gas stove, I have an electric one. If anyone has any idea at what level to keep on an electric stove please do let me know. I finally tried them all on a constant medium heat and they came out better. I tried the second recipe since I realised on the 15th when everyone's posts were popping up that I haven't done the challenge as yet and the second one seemed to be quicker to try. So here I am after frying them and still have my second last batch in the frying pan. I shall try again with my mom and get them crisp hopefully. Thanks Valli.
3/4 cup Rice flour
1/4 cup All purpose flour/ Maida
2 tbsp Ghee
1/4 tsp Ajwain
1/4 tsp Red chili powder
Salt as per taste
Oil for deep fry
1 cup water approximately
- Bring 1 cup of water to a boil.
- Mix the flours, ajwain, red chili powder, turmeric and salt in another bowl.
- Add the water to the flour mix slowly, keep mixing till you get a stiff dough. Mix Well till everything is blended.
- Pour Ghee on top, cover the bowl and keep aside.
- Once cool to handle, knead to form a smooth dough.
- Grease your fingers with oil and pinch out a small lemon size ball and roll between your palms to form a thick rope. Bring the two ends to together and press to form a rope. Ensure the ends are firmed pressed as not to give out during frying.
- Continue with the rest of the dough until you are done with the entire batch. You can either cover it with a plate or a cloth to prevent the dough from getting dried.
- Check if the oil is in the correct temperature, by dropping a tiny bit into the oil. Then gently slide the rings or the chakodis in batches of 4 -5. The flame has to be on high until the chakodis come up to the surface, then lower the flame to medium and cook till you get a golden colour on the chakodis.
- When the chakodis are golden all over, using a slotted ladle, remove to a kitchen towel and cool. Store in an air tight container for longer shelf life.
- Remember to turn the heat to medium to high and high to medium for getting the chakodis to golden colour and also to be cooked evenly. Only this way you get crispy chakodis. These should not be cooked on low flame as they will absorb more oil and can turn soggy also at times.
This is a simple and flavorful pulao. Can be served with any dal or taste great with just yogurt too.
1 cup basmati rice (250 gms)
1 cup frozen peas (You can use fresh too)
1 tsp jeera - cumin seeds
1 tsp ghee
1 inch ginger, grated
2 green chilies, chopped
1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves, chopped
2 tbsp fresh mint leaves, chopped (optional)
few curry leaves, chopped (optional)
2 cups water
salt to taste
- Wash the rice in water. Keep soaked in water till the pea mix is made.
- Heat ghee in a pan.
- Add the cumin seeds.
- Once they splutter,coriander leaves, curry leaves, mint leaves, green chilies and ginger. Cook for a minute.
- Add the peas. Cook for 2 minutes. (If using fresh peas cook till the peas are half done).
- Drain the rice. (Soaked for about 10 minutes now)
- Add 2 cups off water, the drained rice and salt.
- Bring the water to a boil on medium high.
- Once it reaches a rolling boil stage, reduce the heat to low.
- Cover the pan and cook till the rice is done. (About 10 to 15 minutes)
- You can cook this in a pressure cooker too, only difference is in step 7, just add the water and salt. Bring the water to a boil. Add the rice, close the cooker and give 2 whistles. (Depends on each cooker, check yours to see how many whistles for basmati rice)
- You can also cook this in the rice Cooker, after step 6 place the pea mix, water, rice and salt in the rice cooker and cook as per instructions.