- ▼ 2010 (4)
- ► 2009 (31)
A Happy New Year to all.
I remember those days as a child where I would get up to the aroma of this Dal being cooked, mom's secret is to slow cook this dal for hours. Simple to make but yet so delicious. But it is really heavy and we prefer to have it for lunch. I normally make this when I have guest's and so I do not compromise on the butter and cream. If making for just the family I just add milk and just a dollop of butter at the end. I have always followed moms recipe and it has always worked so I don't look for any other recipe.
1 cup sabut Urad (whole black gram)
1/4 cup rajma (red kidney beans)
2 tsp ginger, grated
2 tsp garlic, minced
1 tsp green chili, chopped finely
1.5 cups tomato puree (See below for recipe)
1 cup fresh cream/ milk
1/4 tbsp red chili powder or to taste
1/4 cup butter
2 tsp garam masala
salt to taste
fresh coriander leaves for garnish
- Wash the urad dal and rajma and soak in lots of water overnight.
- Pressure cook the dal along with ginger, green chili, salt, red chili powder and lots of water till fully cooked and tender.
- Heat 1/2 the butter, add the garlic and tomato puree. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add remaining butter, dal, garam masala and cook on low heat for an hour minimum, longer the better. Add water if required stirring regularly.
- Just before serving add the fresh cream and simmer for 10 minutes.
- adjust seasoning, garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve.
To Make Tomato Puree
Just grinding the tomatoes did not taste good so what we do is boil the tomatoes in some water till the skin breaks. Remove from heat. Remove skin and then puree it. If you want pass it through the sieve to remove the seeds.