- ► 2009 (31)
Kaddu in sindhi is Bottle Gourd, Lauki. This is a simple and very comforting curry, you can substitute Turai in place of Kaddu and it tastes equally good.
1 cup channa dal, soaked in water for 1 hour
1 cup Kaddu, cut in big chunks
1/2 cup onion
1 inch ginger
2 green chilies
1 cup tomato
10 - 15 curry leaves
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp red chili powder
pinch turmeric powder
salt to taste
Fresh coriander leaves for garnish
- Grind tomatoes, ginger and green chili together.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add the onions and fry them till golden brown.
- Add Curry leaves, coriander powder, red chili powder and turmeric powder. Cook for 1/2 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and cook till oil separates.
- Add the Kaddu, saute for few minutes.
- Add the Channa dal along with 2 cups water and salt.
- Close the cooker and give about 3 whistles. The channa dal should be cooked but not mushy and should hold their shape.
- Let the pressure release normally.
- Add lime juice. Add water as needed for gravy and boil it well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with phulka, roti, chapati etc.