I have always loved Puliyogare and would alwats trade lunch boxes in college when my friend got this. Her moms is the best I have eaten so far. I have been waiting for the recipe but aunty and my friend have been busy. I finally got a recipe at Maheshwari's Beyond the Usual which used tamarind paste and worked best for me. It came out so well we loved it. I finally make it at home.



Ingredients

2tbsp vegetable oil, original asked Gingely oil
1.5 tbsp Tamarind Paste
1/4 cup roasted peanuts, skin removed
1 tsp Mustard seeds
2 tsp Urad dal
2 tsp Channa dal
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
1 tsp Red chilli powder
3 Whole red chillies
2 tsp Jaggaery
1/4 tsp Asafoedita, Hing
Salt as per taste

Dry roast and grind to a powder
10 Red chillies
2 tsp Fenugreek seeds
2 tsp Sesame seeds
5 Curry leaves

Method

  1. Mix tamarind paste in 1 cup of water.
  2. Heat oil and fry mustard seeds,urad dal,channa dal,red chillies.
  3. Add the red chilli powder,turmeric powder,asafoedita,powdered mixture,salt and tamarind water.
  4. Bring to a boil. Simmer till oil seperates.
  5. Add jaggery and roasted peanuts to this and cook for another 2 minutes.
  6. Store in fridge to upto one week.
  7. To make the rice take required amount of cooked rice, and add the required amount of the paste depending on how strong you want it. I dont use measurements here just eyeball it till I like the color


Off this goes to Srivalli's Rice Mela.



Check out what other members cooked today.

16th day of RM2

Check out what other members cooked today.

  1. DK
  2. Siri
  3. Srivalli
  4. Ranji
  5. PJ
  6. Curry Leaf
  7. Priya
  8. Bhawana
  9. Raaji
  10. Ruchii
  11. Anu
  12. Kamala
  13. Roopa
  14. Divya Kudua
  15. Rekha
  16. Divya M
  17. Lakshmi
  18. Raaga
  19. Lakshmi Venkatesh
  20. Sripriya
  21. Viji
  22. Kamalika
  23. Pavani
  24. Karuna
  25. Roochi

9 comments:

CurryLeaf said...

I am not a fan of this,but yours look LOVELY & TASTY

Dori said...

Oh yum, I love to see recipes using tamarind, I love the sour taste... The rice looks great!

Srivalli said...

Looks yummy!..I have never made with paste..

Pavani said...

something is waiting for u on my blog check it...

Unknown said...

Thats really great Medha, you made puliyogare paste at home. Looks yummy

Bhawana said...

The day I looked at the pic I was tempted very ,much. powder looks so authentic and so its color. I added to my favourites.

Unknown said...

This looks like comfort food..

Padmajha said...

Same pinch..Me too love this and ur's looks wonderful!!!Yummy yum..

Unknown said...

Wow love the deep rich color of the dish:) I have never made this dish but both me and my husband like it a lot.

Template by - Abdul Munir - 2008 : Modified by Medhaa Chabria