- ► 2009 (31)
- ▼ May (9)
We can find many recipes for Mexican Rice, which can have any vegetable or Meat in it, but the main ingredients are caramelized onions,tomato sauce, cumin powder and red chili powder. I used red bell pepper and green onions, it can be served as a side or as a main dish too.
This is my contribution to the A Worldly Epicurean’s Delight(A.W.E.D)-Mexican event hosted by DK's Culinary Cuisine.
1 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups uncooked white rice
1/3 cup diced onion
1/3 cup green onions (spring onions), chopped white and green parts
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 cup Tomato Puree or tomato Sauce
2 teaspoons salt
1 clove garlic, minced
3 cups water
- In a large saucepan, heat vegetable oil over a medium-low heat. Place the onions in the pan, and saute until golden brown.
- Add rice to pan, and stir to coat grains with oil.
- Mix in red bell pepper, cumin, chili powder, tomato sauce, salt, garlic and water.
- Cover, bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 30 to 40 minutes, or until rice is tender. Stir occasionally.
- Alternately you can also cook this in the rice cooker, just saute everything in a pan first and the transfer it to the rice cooker.
- I have once cooked it with pasta sauce instead of tomato puree since I had left over and it tasted great.
- Corn is a nice combination with the tangy Tomato.