- ► 2009 (31)
- ▼ May (9)
(Button Mushrooms in Spinach Gravy)
A smooth and healthy dish, easy to prepare and tastes great. You can use mushrooms, paneer or potatoes or any other vegetable you can think of. This gravy is versatile and tastes great with anything. But the best combination is Palak Paneer. But I wanted a change so added button mushrooms instead and it still tasted great.
This is my contribution to Monthly Mingle Bollywood Cooking event hosted by Meeta K of What's For Lunch Honey.
1 bunch Spinach or baby Spinach (1/2 kg)
200 gms Button Mushrooms
2 medium Onions
2 Green chilies
1 inch Ginger
4 cloves Garlic (Indian garlics use 7 to 8)
2 green cardamom
4-5 black pepper corns
1/2 inch cinnamon stick
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp red Chili powder
1 tsp Coriander powder
2 tbsp Milk
- Wash the spinach leaves thoroughly, cut one of the onions and tomato in quarters.
- Steam the Spinach,quartered onion and tomato. Cool. (If using baby spinach you can skip this step)
- Chop the other onion and fry in little oil till they are golden brown. remove and drain on paper towel.
- Once the Spinach Mix and fried onions are cooled to room temperature, grind all the other ingredients along with the Spinach and Fried onion, other than the milk,mushrooms, salt, coriander and red chili powder.
- Heat oil in a sauce pan,add the mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes till done and water evaporates, add the coriander powder and red chili powder and cook for a minute.
- Add the ground mixture (Make sure the heat is in low and you cover the sauce pan immediately since this splutters a lot).
- Cook this till the oil separates, stirring occasionally. Keep covered till it stops spluttering.
- Add milk, salt and extra water according to the required consistency.
- Bring to a boil.
- Garnish with a dollop of cream, malai, Sour Cream or butter I used light cream and serve with Naan, roti, Chapati etc..