- ▼ March (4)
Tahiri is a traditional sindhi sweet rice made on special occasions, like curry chawara function during the weddings. Tahiri is normally served along with Bhee Aloo (Lotus Stem and Aloo Gravy) and boondi raita. We went to mamas place for holi and she made this for lunch. Thanks mom.
1 cup basmati rice
2 cups water
1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar (or to taste)
few strands of saffron
1/2 dry fruits (Almonds, Pista and Raisins)
shahi jeera for garnish
few drops of food color (Orange or yellow)
1.5 tbsp ghee
- Boil the water.
- Add the rice, cook on medium high till water reduces to about 2/3.
- Reduce heat, add sugar, ghee, cardamom, saffron.
- Cover and cook till rice is cooked completely.
- Add food color, mix well.
- Fry the dry fruits in some ghee, add them to the rice.
- Garnish with shahi jeera
- Serve with Bhee Aloo (Lotus Stem and Aloo Gravy) and boondi raita.
- You can also add some fresh coconut pieces along with the dry fruits.
- Add 1/4 tsp of fennel seeds while cooking the rice, gives out a nice aroma and flavour.