Bhee is the Sindhi word for Lotus stem, this is usally served in most Sindhi's homes during special occasions like Diwali, Holli when you have specials guests over for lunch and also during the "Curry Chawal" function during any wedding, served along with Sindhi Curry and Took. Many things are made from Bhee, Bhee Took, Bhee Basar, Bhee Palak. This is the most common recipe so decided to share this first.

I am not really fond off Bhee, but my husband likes them and I did get some requests for this recipe. That's when I started my search for Bhee in Canada I did not have to look for long, I found it in the frozen section in an Indian Store. The fresh ones which we used to get in India were really fibrous and big, but the frozen ones were really small, if you can lay hands on fresh ones they are much better.

Since mama was here for the weekend and my husband and mama both relish this I made it for them, papa and myself ate the potatoes and Brinjal while they both ate the Bhees. I did try one it was not bad at all but I don't think it still is my one of my Liked dishes. OK sorry don't want you to run away now, there are many who just love this dish. I am a very fussy eater so don't listen to me.



Ingredients

1/2 cup frozen Bhees (Lotus Stems)
1/2 Eggplant, cut into medium pieces
2 Potatoes,peeled and cut into medium pieces
3 tbsp Tomato paste
1 bunch spinach, cleaned and chopped
1 inch ginger piece,grated
2 Green chili, chopped
1 tsp Coriander powder
1/2 tsp Chili powder
¼ tsp Turmeric powder
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
1 tsp Mustard Seeds
4-5 Methi Seeds
Salt to taste

Method

  1. Place the eggplant and potato into a bowl with cold water (to avoid it turning brown).
  2. Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add the methi seeds, mustard seeds and cumin seeds, till they splutter.
  3. Add coriander powder, chili powder and turmeric powder. Cook for 1/2 minute.
  4. Add ginger,green chili and potatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
  5. Add the Bhee (Lotus Stems) and cook for 2 minutes
  6. Add the tomato paste and stir till the oil separates.
  7. Add the spinach and cook till they wilt.
  8. Add eggplant and fry for 3-4 minutes. Add in 1/2 cup of water and give 2 whistles. After opening if the potatoes are not cooked you can give one more whistle.
  9. Serve with Roti/Phulka/Chapati along with Curry Chawara.


Back to Sindhi Recipe List

Tip: Alka from Sindhi Rasoi passed on a great tip on how to cook fresh Bhees. She tells "It is neccessary to boil the bhee in salted water with a little piece of sinshi papad, if you do not have sindhi Papad a few drops of oil will also do." - Then cook the curry as normal. Thank you Alka for this great tip.

22 comments:

Kalai said...

Looks delicious, Medhaa! I love the colors in that dish. :)

FH said...

Never tasted Bhee so far, dish looks great!:)

Uma said...

the curry looks so yummy, Medhaa! How come you don't like it? Thanks for introducing a nice sindhi curry.

Cham said...

See Medhaa, i never tasted the bhee ... New dish but looks very tasty ur curry

kamala said...

This is new to me Medhaa..Love the color

TBC said...

I've cooked with lotus root before but have found that they take forver to cook/soften.
Nice dish.

Medhaa said...

Thank you so much.

@Uma: I think it the way it looks that I dont look.

@TBC: Yes with the fresh once in India we had that problem, but these frozen once I used melted away and cooked very easily.

Sailaja said...

Curry looks so yummy.
I never tried lotus stems will definitely try.

Alka said...

Hi medha,
This is one of my fav.but unfortunately hubby dear can't stand it.so i can enjoy it whenever i visit mom

Sangeeth said...

the curry looks so very yummy medha....thanks for sharing

Madhavi said...

This is new for me, never taste Bhee before. Looks gooood, very nice recipe!!!

delhibelle said...

I love bhein, and I have been wanting a sindhi recipe for it ever since I tasted my sindhi friends mom's version.Thanks so much for sharing

Suganya said...

Hi Medhaa...
This sounds new to me. That was a rare ingredient. Looks so good.. YUM!...

TBC said...

Hey Medhaa,
Thanks for the tip (on my blog), but I too used the frozen ones. Have never seen the fresh ones around here...Maybe it was a particularly tough batch.:)But I will try adding some oil the next time.

Meera said...

I have frozen lotus stems right now. and now I know what to do!:-)
Thanks for sharing.

Archy said...

Never tried Lotus stems.. Need to try :) !! looks yummy Medha !!

bha said...

First time here, Medha. You have a wonderful blog and nice recipes.....Interesting Lotus stem recipe

SASHREE said...

hi medhaa,lotus stem recipe looks yummy...never heard this before..i think even u have changed ur template..its cool...mine is from finalsense.com,try there,u can get a couple of templates.

Vanamala Hebbar said...

Never tasted this b4..nice recipe

Swathi said...

I had a packet of frozen lotus stems in my freezer and I was wondering what to do with it.....now I know.....thanks for sharing this :)

i added some onions and garnished it with kasuri methi so spice it up a little more

Dhwani said...

Hi ...came to know about the website through google, when I searched for some recipes ...the dish looks great. I want to try it out ..hope mine looks good too.

Anitamanns said...

The canned bhee are better than the frozen ones in my opinion - I

Template by - Abdul Munir - 2008 : Modified by Medhaa Chabria