(Bitter Gourd Bhajji)

I normally do not eat bitter gourd, but when Pooja announced the Vegetable of the month Bitter Gourd and Mom decided to visit me, I requested her to buy just 2 Bitter Gourds since I do not get it where I stay. I told her just 2 since she is the only one who eats it. I had planned to make my Grand - Ma - In Laws Dhaas Karela recipe, which my mom loves and had been telling me to make them for her. But my mom being my mom actually cooked the karelas and came and that too lots of it. Well initially I was a little upset, but then papa told me that from when she has started making Karela this way even he has started eating it. So then I thought if Papa can eat it so can I and gave it a shot and loved it and actually wanted more, even my husband who never ate it enjoyed it and wants me to make it more often now. So thank you mom for finally getting us used to eating bitter gourd, you have succeeded. And thanks to Pooja from My Creative Ideas to chose Vegetable of the Week -Bitter Gourd for the event this month




This is my mothers recipe.

Ingredients
4 karelas
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp red chili powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tomato, grated
1/2 cup curds
1 tsp imli paste, dissolved in water
salt to taste

Grind To a Paste
2 big onion
1 inch ginger
2 green chillies
1 tbsp jeera
2 cardamoms
4 to 5 pepper corns
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tbsp Poppy seeds (khus khus)

Method

  1. Peel the karela, cut them in about 2 inches length. Sprinkle some salt over them, mix and keep aside for 2 to 3 hours.
  2. After 2 to 3 hours wash them thoroughly.
  3. Dry them using a towel, shallow fry them till they get a golden brown color. Keep them aside.
  4. Add some oil in a pan, add the ground masala and cook till the oil separates.
  5. Add the karelas, coriander powder, chili powder, turmeric powder and salt.
  6. Beat the yogurt well and add it, fry for a minute.
  7. Add the tomatoes and some waters and cook till the karelas are soft.
  8. Add the imli paste and cook till gravy is thick.
  9. Serve with rotis.

11 comments:

Cham said...

Finally everyone enjoyed. Nice mom's recipe .

Pooja said...

The reason behind choosing Bitter gourd for this month seems to be succeeding now :) .
I am glad that now this veggie, full of health benefits will be one of your and your hubbys most loved too :) .
thank you Medhaa for your nice entry. And a special thank to your mom too. Mom's are loving just as that, Aren't they ?
Hugs to both you & your Mom :) .

P.s. - your email missing a pic of your entry , send it , if possible in resized size as mentioned in the rules of VoW. thanks :)

ServesYouRight said...

This is really unusual - thank you for sharing!

smita

Dee said...

Adding the onion paste and the tamarind paste really makes a lot of difference to the karelas, tastes better. I have to try it with curd though!! Thanks to your mom for the recipe!!

Anonymous said...

Your recipe seems easy and doable and looks good too.Karelas are the only veg I dont eat....but maybe I should start.

Meera said...

What a different recipe. Delicious! Thanks for sharing.

Uma said...

nice recipe, Medha! looks delicious.

Dhivya said...

wonderful recipe girl:)must try

Anonymous said...

Fascinating -- I never heard of bitter gourd! The recipe looks wonderful, too.

Medhaa said...

Cham - yes now we all might eat bitter gourd but only when moms cooks this same way...:)

Pooja - thank you and moms are just the great doesnt matter how busy they are they find time for their children, she is so happy that her recipe is in an event. I might just teach her to start her own blog.

Smita - Your welcome

Dee - your welcome, I would think tamarind and curds being sour may enhance the bitterness but what you say is right the gravy had so much flavour that the bitterness of the karela was lost, and maybe thats why we loved it.

Homecooked - you should try these, this was the first time i ate them and just loved them

Meera - your welcome.

Uma - Thank you Uma

Dhivya - Thank you, do try it its lovely

jj - thank you.

Thank you so much everyone

Pixie said...

Hiya, thanks so much for stopping by my blog; I've seen this vegetable before and was never sure how to prepare it...it's wonderful to come across this recipe!

Template by - Abdul Munir - 2008 : Modified by Medhaa Chabria