Bisi Belle Bath is a Karnataka dish, easy to make and very very tasty and filling. There are many kinds of bisi bele bath, using mixed vegetables, pearl onions, avlaikai. I like to make it with all them.

When I was browsing through many blogs I found that I was throwing away a very nutrious green every week -- the radish leaves never knew we could cook with them. I dont eat radish but we get 2 bunches every week as my husband loves to munch on them.

I was inspired by:

Lakshmi from the Yum Blog - Radish Leaves are edible

Mythreyee from Paajaka - Radish Leaves Curry / Mullangi Keerai Palya

Mahek from Mahek's Kitchen - MULYAPANNACHI BHAJI(radish leaves vegetable)

I started off to make Maheks version for the simple reason there was enough dal and since I never like the bitter taste of radish I thought maybe the dal will help a bit and I can pick and eat. But as soon as I started cleaning the radish leaves the smell was a bit too much for me to handle so then I decided to make bisi bele bath with the leaves maybe with all the vegetables and spices I dont get the bitter taste and maybe then I would get used to the radish taste. The reasult was great, I did get the taste of the leaves but it was not to bad at all. Will probably try making one of the above recipes next time.

Finally the recipe for Radish Leaves Bisi Bele Bath, this is my good friend Radha's recipe I learnt to make this from her when I was in Bangalore, I just added the radish leaves and used MTR Sambhar powder instead of her home made sambhar powder which I miss a lot.



1 cup Tuvar dal
1 cup Rice
6 cups Water
2 cup mixed vegetables, chopped (carrots, beans, brinjal, avlaikai, Peas,whole pearl onions) - you could use one vegetable or all
1 cup radish leaves, washed and chopped. (Leaves from 2 bunches)
1 tomato, chopped
2 tbsp peanuts
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp turmeric powder
2 tbsp sambhar powder
2 dry red chillies
10-15 curry leaves
A pinch of asafetida
1 tbsp ghee
Salt to taste


Method

  1. Soak the tuvar dal and rice together in water for 1/2 to 1 hour.
  2. Heat oil in a Pressure Cooker, add the curry leaves, vegetables, peanuts, radish leaves and the dal rice mixture.
  3. Add the water, salt, turmeric powder and tomatoes.
  4. Pressure cook for 3 whistles, cool the cooker.
  5. In a pan heat the oil and add the mustard seeds and the asafetida and wait for them to crackle.
  6. Add the Sambhar water dissolved in 1/4 cup water ( This is so that the Powder does not burn) and stir for a minute.
  7. Add this tempering to the pressure cooked mixture.
  8. Mix well, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
  9. Serve with Boondhi and curds.


Note: Depending on the Sambhar powder quantity varies, add to suite your taste.

12 comments:

FH said...

Here are 2 more dishes with Radish greens and Beet greens. BBB looks great, enjoy!:)

http://aromahope.blogspot.com/2007/05/
sai-bhaji.html

http://foodieshope.blogspot.com/2007/04/
make-way-for-greens-dal-saag-roti.html

Uma said...

looks delicious, Medha! I also have a recipe for radish leaves in my blog.

Cham said...

Looks delicious ur BB bhaat. Radish leaves are healthy and nutritious 2 :)

Unknown said...

Have nt heard of this..will tyr this sometime..

ranji said...

i love bisibelebaath!!!no need for sidedishes..one wholesome meal!!!:)
adding radish leaves is a good idea!!!

Mansi said...

sounds like a nice combination medhaa!

Deepa Kuber said...

looks awesome! loved that

Jayashree said...

I haven't ever cooked anything with radish leaves...this sounds good.

Sia said...

now thats a really good idea of using radish greens.

Anonymous said...

It's an interesting take on Bisibella bath. I also know that radish leaves are edible, but I have not tried cooking them so far. Maybe I should start with this.

Seena said...

Wow, u have published so many dishes in a short time!! Love to see ur recipes, hope to come back.. :) thanks for visiting, See u,

Medhaa said...

Thank you Asha and Uma I have bookmarked those recipes and will surely try them and let you know how it goes.

Cham - thank you, I have just started exploring with them

Divya - you must try them they are not bad at all

Ranji - How true and is so easy to make too we always love this dish

Thank you so much Mansi, Sia and Anjali

Jayashree - you should try them they are healthy too

Madhuram - Try cooking them there are so many options why throw away heathy stuff

Seena - Thank you for dropping by, your blog was great too and I will surely keep dropping by

Thank you so much everyone

T

Template by - Abdul Munir - 2008 : Modified by Medhaa Chabria