- ► 2009 (31)
- Chawara Ji Kheerni
- Grilled Sandwiches - Jhiva for love
- Khatta Meetha Shalgum
- Ras Patta Kaddu
- Pudina Biryani
- Mukandar Wadi
- Heida Wara Chawara
- Paneer Malai Tikka
- Dahi Semiya
- My First Bread
- Karele Ji Bhajji
- Cream of Spinach Mushroom Soup
- Nupur's Pav Bhajji and Pooja's Methi Ni Kadhi
- Lazeez Paneer
- Bread Rolls
- One Month of Blogging
- Corn Methi
- Radish Leaves Bisi Bele Bath
- Turi Ji Bhajji
- Varyoon Patata Waagan Ji Bhajji
- Dried Cranberry Shortbread
- ▼ April (22)
(Sweet and Sour Turnip/Rutabaga)
I don't remember having this in India, and as usual every week I pick up something new to try from the grocery store and this time it was Rutabaga, did a Google search only to pleasantly realize that its nothing but a turnip or shalgum and is widely used in Indian cooking. I saw many recipes for it but then my Punjabi neighbour aunt told me this recipe to have with puris and we loved it. Now we have a new addition to our menu and so many recipes to try.
1 cup shalgum, cut into small cubes
1 onion, chopped
1/2 cup pureed tomato
1 inch ginger, grated
1/2 cup curds
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp red chili powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
salt to taste
coriander leaves for garnish
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pressure cooker. Add the onions and cook till they are translucent.
- Add coriander powder, red chili powder and turmeric powder. Cook for a minute.
- Add ginger and tomatoes and cook till the oil separates.
- Beat the curds well and add it to the pressure cooker.
- Add the shalgum, salt and 1/2 cup water.
- Give 2 whistles. Let the pressure release.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with puris or roti.