Karela or Bitter Gourd, Bitter Melon has many health benefits. The main being regulate the blood sugar and hence it is very good for diabetic patients.

These are few sites that give good information about bitter gourd and home remedies using them.



Ingredients - Makes 1 small glass
1 Karela Big
salt to taste
lime/lemon juice as per taste

Method
  1. Wash the Karela.
  2. Remove the seeds.
  3. Cut into small pieces.
  4. Puree it in a blender or is you have juicer you can use that. If using blender you can add little water. About 1/4 cup will do.
  5. If pureed using a blender, pass it through a sieve.
  6. Add salt and Lime/Lemon juice to the collected juice.
  7. Serve.


Note: This is really bitter, but the benefits are in this bitter part. I just had drop of it and could not have more my whole food pipe is reacting to it and I can feel the bitter taste all the way down. But if you have Diabeties there is no better home remedy and have it like a tonic.



Bhawana's Taste of India posts are not updating on TOI. You can view her posts on the left side here on my Blog or you can Subscribe to her Blog.

21 comments:

Bhawana said...

Wow what a color it came out. In our childhood we use to make khuskhus rasna drink. this is the same color. BUT BEWARE before drinking it :)))))))) it will be verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry bitter in taste.. BUT yes very good for health.

Cham said...

What a green color! My mom drinks this juice, I am not sure i can drink fresh the bittergourd jui even though i love BG :)

Vaishali said...

I love karela, but karela juice? Will have to think about that :) You make it look quite pretty, Medhaa.

Uma said...

as Vaishali said, you made it look so pretty Medhaa! Beautiful color. But Karela juice is not my kind of juice due the bitter taste even though it is healthy. If some sugar is added may be ok to taste quarter of that glass, he he!

Illatharasi said...

Wow, this looks cool... wonderful colour!

Nidhi said...

I have never tasted Karela in my life...surely Karela Juice is just out of the picture for me :)
But the juice looks good to the eyes.

Deepthi Shankar said...

lovely color ... i have never had the juice ... have gared abt how beneficial it is for health .. lovely post dear

lubnakarim06 said...

Beautiful color yaar. Sounds healthy.

Indian Khana said...

U have make look karela juice too quite yummy ;)...yes it's very gud for health..looking at the pic..I don't mind skipping one or two drop too :)

Yasmeen said...

A very healthy recipe medhaa. I like the colors .

Srikitchen said...

an event going in my blog too! join with us soon!

Unknown said...

I am suffering from Poycystic Ovarian Syndrome, and drinking karela juice everyday has benefited me a lot!! I feel much more energetic. One should also try it!!

buone said...

@ mayuri:
i've heard karela juice is very potent so shouldn't be taken everyday. so check it out. i love it though.

Unknown said...

@buone
i used to drnk everyday for sum mnths, probably, 3-4 mnths.. nw, i m nt continuing as even i knw it is potent.. But, it benefited me a lot!!

Unknown said...

Bitter melon is one of the best
vegetable-fruit that helps improve
diabetic and toxemia conditions. It is rich in iron, contains twice the beta-carotene of broccoli, twice the calcium of spinach, and twice the potassium of a banana.My own Maa + Mamaji use to take it early morning regularly. I knew a little from mamaji and ofcourse, Mayu:-)

macharia said...

sure the juice is bitter but refreshing and assures one of good health.
macharia charles kenya

macharia said...

Bitter but the promised herb for diabetics.

RecipeJuice said...

Look Tasty.Slurp...

At my blog i share too how make it.
visit here karela juice recipe

Aasma khan said...

Awesome, it looks so pure and smells so fresh n earthy.. i had it for a week and trust me ul b habituated to it soon. Try to gulp it down rather than sipping. ;)

Aasma khan said...

Awesome, it looks soo fresh to the eye and definitly works wonders to detox our system... i hv tried it fr a week and love the way my system feels from within. Try to gulp it down in one shot rather than sipping.

Retail Pharma India said...

Already I am taking Karela Juice. It's very effective in diabetes. Regulates all diseases caused due to diabetes and Works best for eyesight. You can get Karela juice at your home, just order on Online Herbal Store in India.


Template by - Abdul Munir - 2008 : Modified by Medhaa Chabria