Dahi Ji Curry

(Yogurt Curry)

There are so many versions of the Dahi Ji curry, but this is the way we have been making it as far as I can remember. We all love it and my husband can just keep having it all day long. His love for this curry is so well known that my niece in India has told everyone at home not to make this curry anymore since whenever they make it she misses her Chachu (My Husband) and that she cannot have it since he is not there to have it. She does this to theplas too which my husband loves. It was so sweet and touchy when she told me "Maachi I have told everyone not to make dahi curry anymore", I had tears in my eyes but then we made a deal, every weekend she will tell me what they cooked there and I would make the same menu the week after. She now from past 2 weeks promptly tells me the menu. I try to follow it as much as I can. So here I made his favorite Dahi Curry on demand.

She also has told me to make Pink Idlies for her when I go there and not the Palak - Green Idlies...:) Any Ideas what can be put to make them pink, I was thinking Strawberries...




Ingredients

1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp Jeera seeds
handful curry leaves
a pinch hingh (Asafoetida)
1 and 1/2 cups curds (yogurt)
1 tbsp Besan (gram flour)
1 green chilli chopped
1 inch ginger grated
a pinch tumeric powder
1/4 tsp sugar
salt to taste
1 cup water (As per required consistency)
1 tbsp oil
Fresh coriander leaves for garnish

Method


  1. Beat the curds well, Add besan, green chili, ginger, sugar and tumeric powder to the curds. Mix Well
  2. Heat oil in a pan. Add hing, mustard seeds and jeera.
  3. Once the seeds splutter, add the curry leaves.
  4. Reduce the heat to low, add the curd mixture with 1 cup water.
  5. Bring to boiling point on low temperature.
  6. Garnish with coriander leaves and server with rice. I also served Spiced Sweet Potatoes.


This goes to the Frozen Yogurt - A Cool Summer Event hosted by Siri of Siri's Corner



Back to Sindhi Recipe List

9 comments:

Siri said...

the best part of your post is the name Medha - 'Dahi Ji Curry'.. it so cute! Thanks for such a lovely entry dear.

Cheers,
Siri

Cham said...

Lovely we make it in similar way Medhaa. I love the color of the gravy

Anonymous said...

cute write-up and yummy looking dahi ji curry

Anonymous said...

You could try adding a little bit of cooked, pureed beets to make your pink idlis

Kalai said...

Awwww.... Sooo sweet your write-up, Medhaa!! Curry looks yum. I agree with Simran. Beets is probably your best bet. A little goes a long way! :)

Unknown said...

That is indeed a healthy entry with yoghurt Madhaa

Meera said...

wonderful entry!! Your niece is so sweet. I was thinking grated or pureed , boiled beets may be used for pink idlis!

Anonymous said...

Medha
great receipe, regular sindhi kadhi is made frequently, but dahi kadhi, had been looking for this one for a long time.
i remember our neighbors (once upon a time, long long ago) used to call it 'khatyo' or something similar.
anyway - great receipes, keep it up.
best wishes

Ballal said...

Hi, great recipe. I think My sister makes soemthing very similar, but it has some greens in it. Also it is sometimes served with Pakoras, is this the same thing?
xoxo

Template by - Abdul Munir - 2008 : Modified by Medhaa Chabria