Who does not like Palak Paneer, ever since I was small mama used to cook up this lovely Palak Paneer, it was natural for me to start cooking it the same way as I had helped mama cook this so many times. I like to grind my curry to get the smooth texture and prefer not to fry the paneer, but if you like you could fry the paneer.

This gravy is so versatile, you can just have it plain or add paneer, mushroom, corm or Potato. Here is the Mushroom Version

Ingredients

1 bunch Spinach or baby Spinach (1/2 kg)
200 gms Paneer, cut in 1 inch cubes
2 medium Onions
1 Tomato
2 Green chilies
1 inch Ginger
4 cloves Garlic (Indian garlics use 7 to 8)
2 cloves
2 green cardamom
4-5 black pepper corns
1/2 inch cinnamon stick

Salt to taste
1/2 tsp red Chili powder
1 tsp Coriander powder
3 tbsp Milk

Method

  1. Wash the spinach leaves thoroughly, cut one of the onions and tomato in quarters.
  2. Steam the Spinach,quartered onion and tomato. Cool. (If using baby spinach you can skip this step)
  3. Chop the other onion and fry in little oil till they are golden brown. remove and drain on paper towel.
  4. Once the Spinach Mix and fried onions are cooled to room temperature, grind all the other ingredients along with the Spinach and Fried onion, other than the milk,mushrooms, salt, coriander and red chili powder.
  5. Heat oil in a sauce pan, add the coriander powder and red chili powder and cook for a minute, taking care not to burn them.
  6. Add the ground mixture (Make sure the heat is in low and you cover the sauce pan immediately since this splutters a lot).
  7. Cook this till the oil separates, stirring occasionally. Keep covered till it stops spluttering.
  8. Add milk, paneer, salt and extra water according to the required consistency.
  9. Bring to a boil.
  10. Serve with Naan, roti,phulka, Chapati etc..

15 comments:

Cham said...

I like palak paneer but none eat in my home for the green colour. See there are people who don't like Green! Delicious Medhaa

Medhaa said...

wow cham, I guess they are like me when I was a kid, but the only green I would eat was Palak Paneer for the Paneer.

SASHREE said...

yummy palak panner medhaa,being a southindian i never have home made one...but this time ill try this for sure.
BTW another award is waiting for u dear..hehehe,go and get it
Hugs

SASHREE said...

hey medhaa,i did wt ever u said reg TOI...lets see wt'll happen this time,have a gr8 week end

bee said...

the next time we make palak paneer, we'll try your recipe.

Anonymous said...

Hi Medhaa, That Palak Paneer looks yummy ...
A suprise is waiting for u in my blog at http://foodwithapinchoflove.wordpress.com/2008/06/07/100-posts-and-celebrating-it-with-an-award/

Bharti said...

Hi Medhaa
That looks yumm!

Sagari said...

beautiful color

Uma said...

delicious.

EC said...

Yummy dish with an inviting colour

ushaprashanth said...

Hi!
Palak paneer looks lovely!!!!! its easy to prepare too!!!

Fran Z said...

This looks so yummy! ...and comforting!

Suganya said...

Palak paneer looks so good. My fav. Looks so creamy and YUM! Love to have it with hot butter nan.

Anonymous said...

I can proudly say I've made Paneer before but never Palak Paneer:) This looks great! I've seen different version on other blogs, loved yours too.

EC said...

An award waiting for u on my blog

Template by - Abdul Munir - 2008 : Modified by Medhaa Chabria