- ► 2009 (31)
- Daring Bakers June 2008 - Danish Braid
- Spiced Sweet potatoes
- Dahi Ji Curry
- Tidali Dal
- Coconut Choco chips and Cranberry Macaroons
- Vayoon Ji Biryani (Wadi Biryani)
- Mughlai Chicken
- Satpuro - 7 Layered Parantha
- Khand Jo Phulko - Sugar Parantha
- Palak Idli
- Cabbage Parantha - Roti Mela
- Some Awards and a Meme
- Mirchi Pakoda, Aloo Bonda and Mirchi Pakoda Chat
- Palak Paneer
- Nupur's Spicy Cauliflower Soup - Tried and Tasted
- Rice Krispies Mixture (Spiced Rice Krispies)
- Dhaas Karela - Stuffed Bitter Gourd Curry
- Bhee Aloo - Lotus Stem Curry
- Falafel with Hummus
- Sai Bhajji Tikki
- ▼ June (20)
Finally we have some summer here and I love it cause its been raining too, don't really like the thundering but will not complain and enjoy the 2 months of hot weather before it starts getting cold again. We picked up these Jalapenos to have and we enjoy hot pakodas in the rain. But these are very spicy and Max I can do is have bite and then jump around,but my husband and Jo Aunty (Neighbour Friend) love them and will sweat, have tears in their eye but will still have these. I make a potato filling for the jalapenos, and make aloo bonda with the left over filling. After having one he could not have his second one since it was spicy and later it was turned into a yummy Mirchi Pakoda Chat. It still was spicy but he enjoyed it.
4 Big Jalapenos
oil for deep frying
1&1/2 cups Besan (Gram flour)
1/2 tsp paprika
pinch baking soda
salt to taste
handful of fresh coriander leaves, washed and chopped
3/4 to 1 cup water
2 Potatoes, boiled
1/2 onion, chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp ginger, grated
1/2 tsp garlic, grated
1/2 tbsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp amchur (mango Powder)
2 tbsp curry leaves,chopped
handful, fresh coriander leaves, chopped
salt to taste
1 tbsp oil
To Make the Filling
- Mash the potatoes well. Add the chopped onions and fresh coriander leaves
- Heat oil in a saucepan.
- Add Cumin Seeds, let them splutter.
- Add curry leaves, ginger and garlic.
- Quickly add all the dry masalas and turn of the gas.
- Mix this with the Potatoes and Mix well.
- Keep Aside
Note: I do not add any chilies since the Jalapenos are very spicy, you can play around with the dry masalas to suit your taste.
Assemble the Pakodas
- Wash the Jalapenos well and dry them.
- Slit them length wise making sure not to cut it in half and leaving about 1/2 inch intact from both ends.
- Remove some or all the seeds from inside. (This is optional, if you can take the heat then skip this step). Don't throw the seeds, you can use them in cooking.
- Fill each jalapeno with the Potato filling and keep aside.
- Add some red chili powder, 1/2 tsp lime juice to rest of the Potato filling.
- Make small lime size balls from the rest of the Potato filling. Keep aside.
To Make the Batter (Make this just before serving)
- Mix salt, paprika, coriander leaves together in a bowl.
- Add the baking soda in 1/2 cup of water and mix well.
- Add this 1/2 cup of water with the soda to the besan mix.
- Slowly using your hands mix in the rest of the water to make a smooth batter. The batter should be thick enough to coat the jalapenos. Make sure not to make it to runny.
How to Proceed
- Heat the oil for deep frying.
- Once hot add about 1 tbsp of the hot oil to the batter and mix the batter well.
- Take the Jalapeno, dip in the batter, coat well.
- Slowly drop it in the hot oil, and fry it on Medium temperature, to make the sure its cooked through inside.
- Once it is golden brown in color, remove and drain on paper to remove excess oil.
- Repeat with the rest of the jalapenos.
- Do the same for the Potato Balls to make Aloo Bonda.
- Serve Hot with a cup of Tea.
Mirchi Pakoda Chat
- Cut the Mirchi Pakoda in half.
- Beat about 1/4 cup of curs and pour over the Pakoda.
- Drizzle, Katta Meetha chutney (sweet and sour chutney).
- Sprinkle some Chiwada on top. (I used the Rice Krispies Mixture).
- sprinkle some chat masala, thin sev over an serve immediately.