- ► 2009 (31)
- Daring Bakers July 2008 - Filbert Gateau with Pra...
- Chutneys - Hari Chutney, Pudina Chutney and Khatta...
- Quick Raspberry Souffle
- Patta Kos Ji Bhajji - Cabbage Curry
- Bhinda Basar - Okra in Onion Tomato Gravy
- Boondi Raita
- Paneer Jalfrezi - Taste and Create
- Vegetable Badshahi
- Sindhi Curry Chawara- Tomato Curry
- Aloo Took
- Sweet and Sour Baby Corn
- Bharwan Lauki and Jeera Kadoo
- Vaishali's Masala Vadai
- Seyal Bread Dahi Mein - Bread Upma in Yogurt
- Methi Paneer
- Khatta Meetha Beetroot
- Swati's Bihari Palak Khichidi
- Lima Bean Curry
- Rajma Chawara - Red Kidney Beans Curry
- Carrot, Chickpea Rice
- Dal Palak
- Pakoda Curry
- Mangalore Bajji
- Makhani Dal
- Bhugha Chawra
- Contact Me
- ▼ July (26)
(Rice with Caramelized Onions)
Plain rice may be fine for family and for some specific dals and curries, but when we entertain, a more festive version is usually required, Bhuga Chawra, with the added sweetness of the caramelized onions, it is an easy and delicious choice.
1 cup rice
1 tbsp Ghee
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 inch cinnamon stick
5 black pepper corns
2 cups water
salt to taste
- Wash Rice and soak in water.
- Heat Ghee over high heat in a large saucepan.
- Add the cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon and peppercorns.
- Add the onions,cook until the onions are golden brown.
- Drain the rice and add to the onions.
- Add 2 cups of water and salt stirring gently.
- Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to low.
- Cover the saucepan and simmer for 10 mins, till the rice is cooked.
- Serve with Makhani Dal or just have it plain with yogurt
Note: Can also be made in a pressure cooker. Once the onions are browned, add 2 cups of water into the cooker and let it boil, then add the rice and give 2 whistles. Rice is done.
Back to Sindhi Recipe List